So this time, we all gathered up in a meeting room and agreed on that we were gonna make a list where we followed up on who makes what. Edvard quickly went in google sheets and created this asset list
We wrote on the left who was working on what, and when we finished it, we highlighted the object area green. We have managed it so that when you hover over the actual highlighted area itself, it takes you to a download link for the OBJ file and a picture of it.
Now that we had this system, I jumped straight into modeling the assets.
Getting a lot of help from Beatrice in 2nd year, I got a lot of insight in tips and tricks I could do in Maya, Zbrush and Substance Painter. Obviously this sped up my progress and made the assets better.
First tip I got was the Extrude shortcut in Maya “CTRL+E”. She gave me the tip that if I was gonna try to obtain a shape from a reference, it would be quicker and easier to use the extrude shortcut, and scale it in what ever way needed. Pressing “CTRL+E” again after moving the surface would create more subdivisions, which is a great tip for making a low-poly model. Considering that we are making assets for a video game, I have to think outside of what I have originally learned, since I am an animation student. Because in animation, there is usually not as big of a focus on low-poly compared to the game industry. This is because for a video game, the lower your poly-count is for the model you are making, the easier it will run on your computer.
First off I started making a banana peel, taking reference from super mario:
Using the extruding tip I got from Beatrice, I started off with a cylinder with quite few subdivisions. Extruding the surface and bottom, I achieved the look of a banana top, and I used the detach tool to kind of split it up like the banana peel in the picture above. I then cleaned up the model a bit by using the append to polygon tool, to recreate the surfaces I lost.
Stretching out the banana peel flakes, I merged some vertexes together on one side of the banana that originally had too many subdivisions to achieve the pointy tip.
This was what I ended up with:
For the future update: I will attempt to texture this banana using substance painter whenever I get the time.
Next up is the lamp post I made.
Using the same technique to extrude, I attempted to make an old lamp post. However, Edvard wanted something a bit more Urban rather than an elegant antique lamp post.
This was the lamp post I ended up making:
Putle made a bunch of cool drawings of Urban lamp posts which I will attempt to make in the future as well.
Concept drawn by Putle
I also looked at the concept drawings of some doors that Putle made.
Trying to obtain the shape and the style of the door on the left, while my intention is to add the graffiti from the door in the middle in Substance Painter later.
Using the Extruding tip, I quickly obtained the shape of the door. However I made the mail slot in the same model as the door. To save space in the poly-count, I got another tip from Beatrice that I should try to create it as a separate model with the door, and rather bake it in the texture of the door itself in Substance Painter to save some data and space.
This is the door I ended up with, quite a simple model actually, but still has a lot more refining to be done:
Now as for the last asset I spent the most time on is the pizza slice.
How I made this was by creating a low poly square with a lot of subdivisions. Shaping it into a triangle and forming the subdivisions to get thinner towards the tip, while the crust part is much more thicker.
After I did this, I created a plane and shaped it a bit with some bumps here and there. Placing the plane under neath the pizza slice so the tip was sticking out over the edge, I applied Ncloth tool to both of them, and generated the pizza so acted as a cloth. After fiddling around with the settings of Ncloth, I managed to get the pizza slice to look like an actual pizza slice. I added some pepperoni’s on top of it and baked it into the texture.
This was how it currently looked like:
Using Substance painter and Photoshop, I created 2 textures I applied to the model it self.
The textures was created with hard surfaces in photoshop since we are going for a quite simplistic style:
Texture 1 – Pepperoni
Texture 2 – Cheese
After exporting these textures to substance painter, I spent some time brushing them on to the actual model by the help of masks.
Rendering some quite cool maps:
After getting the whole file ready for Unreal engine, I wanted to see how it looked like in Maya with the wireframes on. This is the result:
For these screenshots I did not add the normal or the occlusion map, because I only wanted to view it with the wireframes on.
Next up, I will attempt to finish the Character model and some more of the assets on the list and last but not least, finish up what I have said I will continue on through out this post.