We have been ongoing about the character design for quite some time, after narrowing down the concept it was finally time to 3D model it. I started off by shaping a cylinder with a reasonable amount of subdivisions. Since this is the character model, I tried to keep it somewhat low poly, but of course not too low poly. Since it’s the main character.
After shaping the cylinder into a sphere, it started getting the shape I was going for. However, it was looking somewhat too round. I created the lid out of another cylinder, and used the extrude to form the shape. The handle was quite simple, I created a doughnut and refined it a bit to look like a handle. I created the nozzle out of a third cylinder and used extrude to shape that as well. Obtaining the form and shape by moving the faces, edges and vertexes, I ended up getting something that looked like this:
It was starting to look good, however the shape was not quite what I was hoping for.
It felt too big and round, so I thought it would maybe look a bit better if I tried to make it more flat. But not too flat of course, because it should maintain the sphere shape. It ended up looking something like this:
Now that the shape was starting to look better, the shape of the nozzle had room for improvement. I felt it was a bit too tiny and I was getting some good feedback from Marcus and Edvard too. Trying to make it a bit bigger, I also accidentally made it too long:
Again getting some feedback, I gave it another shot at making it a tiny bit shorter.
Now I was starting to get quite satisfied with the shape. There was still some room for improvement on pretty much everything, but I thought I could start making the head and legs in the meantime.
I used Ncloth and applied it to a sphere and passive collider on a plane. This gave me the possibility to experiment with the bounce settings. So it was like dropping a water balloon towards the ground without having it bursting. The sphere looked like a tiny blob at some point. When I got the shape I wanted, I duplicated it and continued on trying. I also at some point created a doughnut and made it the second passive collider. This caused the sphere to try and flow through a tiny hole in the doughnut, which made it look even more like slime.
Putting together the head and legs from these shapes, I was starting to get the character from the concepts. Adding subdivisions, scaling and shaping the edges of the slime, I managed to create a tiny blob hanging out from the nozzle which we will probably add jigglebone to later.
I also made the back side where the handle is a bit flatter to look more realistic, and I tried to shape the handle a bit differently, because it was looking too much like a doughnut. Take a look:
Although it was looking quite nice looking, it still needed some improvement. Edvard and Marcus pointed out that the legs was a bit too short and that the handle should be improved a tiny bit as well. After spending some time sending pictures back and forth asking for feedback, this was the final result:
Slight perspective turn:
The poly-count I ended up with was not too high considering our character is going to be quite small which is good.
Why this is good is because we then get more space for more assets or characters with more detail. Considering most of the assets we are making is low-poly, our game will run very smooth which is our goal to achieve.
Now that the character is done, all that is left to do is texturing it. I made the UV map ready in UV Layout and cleaned it a tiny bit. Take a look:
Now when I am going to texture it in Substance Painter, I want Edvard to assist me, since he is responsible for how the style of the character will look. What artstyle we will be using and color-palette.
I will keep you guys updated in the next blogs!