Texturing – Studio 3 – Semester 2

Last post I talked about how my research had gone and about the fact that I was finally ready to start my own textures, during these past weeks I’ve been working really hard on the textures, and I completed most of them.

Textures

Working really hard and continuously on a software makes you ofter learn tricks and tips to save time and by doing so allows you to increase your learning curve. Because of the specific and peculiar style of my textures and models I needed each material to be 100% consistent with each other, even the single little disruptive detail could ruin the entire texture “ecosystem”. In order to do so I had to avoid having to create the same materials over and over again, which is rather easy when you use an already existing material and you don’t really modify it, but what happens when you heavily modify a material in Substance Painter both in color and style and you need to use it on multiple models? Simple, you create a shelf with your materials, so that you always have them in the software, even when you open a new project with a new 3d object, this can be done in two different ways: 1) Creating a preset in case the texture is a simple material with no layers or folders 2) When the material created is a bit more complex and it is organised in a folder the matter is different, but as easy, you just need to create a smart material out of it; a smart material is a texture composed by multiple materials and layers usually organised in folders.

In the picture you can see my shelf and in the next pictures I’ll be showing how I applied the textures and how I handled them.  Action shotAction shot2Action shot3Action shot4

This it the first robot along with the overboard and one of the weapons I made from Oskar’s concepts. For the Colors I opted for some warm camp style along with a bright and characteristic orange which I will use for every other robot as a way to recognise them. For the hoverboard I used different tones of brown along with a colder red, the back part had to look inconsistent with the front since the hoverboard is a tech that belongs to the enemy scavenged by the rebels and modified with other scavenged parts, I didn’t want this to look to exaggerated or ridiculous, so I simply used colors that would look well together, but at the same time would underline how the tool is composed by parts different from each other.

For the rifle I used pretty much the same textures as the robot to give a sensation of “default equipment” to emphasise the homologation of the antagonists of this movie.

Axe4Axe2

Baseball bat

Here are some props that will be used by different characters in the movie, here as well I opted for a worn out chunky style which fits well the stylised style and blends it with the dystopian, post apocalyptic world where nothing is newly produced and everything is worn by time and by the catastrophic events that preceded the movie.

Why are these tools characterised by wires? I feel like uncovered wires and this “modded” style fit well with the Junkyard feel of the setting.

Big robotBike

Even though the robots have to look all the same, like they were wearing a uniform I still wanted to give some slight characterisation and difference between each different type of robot, almost transforming them in stereotyped characters. How can that be obtained without breaking the uniform feel of their color combination and texture? Among the many ways this can be done through sound, vex and animation I thought I could aid this differentiation by adding different writings on the bodies of the robots that look like an halfway between tattoos and graffiti, such as the ironic writing “friendly” and a body count on the big robot. At the same time the writing component helped me giving the idea of a factory/ produced in series group of enemies, by putting the Arbak Industries logo on every robot, tool and machine used by the antagonists. Board 2BoardCargo Bot

Board 3

As I stated in my previous post, as easy and quick as it seems to create a stylised texture style the risk of making it look so simple that it’s bland is always there, lurking behind a corner. With the models being already quite stylised and low poly, making the textures too simple and flat would have made the final result look boring and rush, at the same time working too much on avoiding this would have made the textures too heavy and realistic. How to balance between the too dangerous extremes? The solution I found was to accentuate spots of rust, dirt and worn out material on every edge and hard corner of my models, by doing this I sort of “break” the low poly of my models and give them the little bit of depth they need just not to look TOO simple.

Fat boi

As I complete the textures I realise how much I’ve learned from this journey, a style that seemed extremely easy to make proved to be as founded on research and hard work as any other style which may look more complicated and detailed.

I recognise that my textures are not perfect and that I could work on them much much more, but I can say I am rather satisfied with the look, which is exactly how I expected it to be. The models textured fit really well all together and that’s something not so easy to obtain, no matter what the style of the project is.

April is almost over and the delivery is getting close, now that the texturing is completed I will be focusing on the animation for the next weeks.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s