Game Assignment (Dead Tree) – Part 3

A short recap from last time, I finished my tree. It’s theoretically done, but I also wanted to export it into Unity, which means I needed to export it into a FBX file. After doing a bit of research, I figured out how to import the FBX file into unity. But aside from that I also wanted a bit of landscape around it with some mountains and such, so I started off with creating it.

Unity 1.PNG

For the texture on the ground, I put together two pictures I found on google which was these two.

depositphotos_22588557-Dirt-Road-Seamless-Texture..jpgMountain rock dark texture.jpg

I wanted my environment to have this dead look, but with a tiny tint of life blooming up from the ground. I took the inspiration from different stranded dead trees in random desert pictures I found on google.

Unity 2.PNG

After scattering the trees I made around in the environment I made in Unity, I also wanted the light to be fitting with my environment. I moved the sun quite a bit further away and ended up with another scenario.

Unity 3.png

Now that this assignment is complete, it’s time to move over to the animation assignment.

Until next time.

Game Assignment (Dead Tree) – Part 2

So where I left off last time was when I finished modeling the tree. Now I will focus on refining it, making it look more like the reference pictures from the video game Runescape I listed in the previous post, scaling down the polycount and finally UV map it.

I first started with scattering all the branches around the tree mast instead of having all of the branches on the same side. I also attached the last root to its mast as well.

Shaded and moved

After the small refinement, I scaled down the polycount and colored it brown to match with the actual color of how I wanted the tree to be.

Dead tree.png

Now It is time for the UV mapping. I started out with selecting all theTexture reference used branches and flattening them out to apply the texture.

I ended up with 8 UV maps in total for each branch on the tree. I mainly used this picture which I found on google as the tree texture.

 

The UV map of the mast of the tree ended up looking like this so you can probably figure out how the 7 others ended up looking like.

UV Main branch tex.png

After applying all the UV maps to the tree and all its brances, it ended up like this.

Dead tree finished.PNG

Now my focus will lay on exporting it into an FBX file and import it into Unity.

Until next time.

Game Assignment (Dead Tree)

So I first started off by finding reference pictures for dead trees. The main reference source I used for my Dead Tree model was from Runescape.

Reference picture - Dead tree from Runescape.png       85933182283942398                  Dead_tree_old

 

First off I started drawing my tree in 3DS max like I did with the Arcade Machine. I drew the shapes of the branches and such like the Runescape trees have. Very crooked and sharp edges.

Finishing lofts

Then I continued to scale them down at the edge to make them more pointy. Trying to make them look similar to my reference, I went in dept inside of the actual game to be able to rotate around the entire tree.

Lofts done.PNG

After shaping it, I am now going to turn it into an actual model. Next up I have to refine the edges and make them even sharper. This does not apply for the bottom roots, because they will be under the ground and not visable during the rendering of the tree in the game engine.

Tree shaded.png

Now that the tree is an actual model, I will focus on refining it, downscale the polycount and UV map it.

Until next time!